08 August 2012

Sea Foam Surprise

Two good old friends will get a nice chuckle out of the title of this post (private joke, not telling). For the rest of you, I offer this version of the sea foam surprise:
A suit in glen check of a subtle scale may not be anything shocking, in black and white, looking like pale grey. If it's zesty, it will have an overcheck in blue or red. But a glen check suit in pale green with an overcheck in...dare I say it...sea foam??? Filthy, degenerate...brilliant. (caveat: the photos simply do not do the color of this thing justice)

Bearing what appear to be actual horn buttons...
In some unheard-of fabric composed of 79% wool/21% linen. Lightweight but sturdy, comfortable on a hot day, crinkles just enough (but not too much) to look like Summer...
Off-the-rack  number from Paul Stuart, fits me like a glove...
Not bad with a Brooks Brothers USA made pinpoint button down shirt and an Italian made Polo bow tie.

I am in no way one to advocate the separation of suits, but I think this one wil work as well as two pices as it does as one. The pants will jam with a white tennis shirt and navy blazer...the jacket will work with tan, navy, charcoal, or cream slacks.

$14.99 (plus $12 dry cleaning) well spent, no?

p.s. remember that teaser photo of a tote bag bursting with ties a while back? The first batch of the went up on the shop today, with more to come next week. Check it.

5 comments:

notanymore said...

This is very nice. I'm not sure it's something I would wear right now in my mid twenties, but in another ten years, I could definitely see it becoming a very nice transitional piece.

And Paul Stuart is expensive. More than it should be, in my opinion. Good find.

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Love it!

Best Regards,

Ulrich von B.

Roger v.d. Velde said...

Where the dickens do you come up with all these great glen checks? I'm particularly jealous of this one, today is the perfect day for such a suit - warm, but not too hot, touch of wind.

What a bargain. Nice work.

Anonymous said...

My father had a Glen plaid suit like that. It wasn't sea foam green, more light olive green. He wore it with a bow tie, of course (I never saw him wear any other kind of tie). He took it on vacations, back when people dressed nice while travelling. I think the suit came with two pairs of pants.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I have an unlined Glenn check suit with subtle overlays in lavender and green that I love, but yours is soooo fine too. And at that price. You truly are the master of treasure finding.