03 March 2012

Keep It Simple (Rainy Day Edition)

Despite my love for (and arguable overuse) of the slightly more outrageous trappings at the outer bounds of what may be considered classic menswear, I do in fact find solace in the clean look of simple classics at times.  Opposites, by there very existence, make each other better. What's Summer without Winter? And what good are things like Kelly green cords if you don't tone it down sometimes? Besides, matching four patterns and trying to wield bright hues with apparent aplomb gets to be an exhausting gig. It's nice sometimes to reach for the tried and true:
And what could be more tried and true than a Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece navy blazer ( $6.99), vintage 1980s Brooks Brothers white oxford with the oh-so-coveted unlined collar ($5.49) and burgundy repp stripe tie by Bert Pulitzer for Lord & Taylor ($1.99), finished cleanly with a white cotton square?
Below, charcoal worsted trousers, vintage 1960s, with Allen Edmonds "Mac Neil" brogues in shell cordovan. I know, they could use a bit of a buff, but it had been drizzling all day and they were a bit dirty. As much as my dandy tendencies were leaning toward yellow socks, I managed to suppress them (for once) and opt for simple navy with white dots.

All of it topped off with a mid-calf length tan trench coat, complete with button-in wool lining and leather fittings ($14.99), a Donegal tweed cap ($1.99) and a black umbrella with a wooden shaft (left behind at a shop I worked in years ago). Nothing like a healthy dose of the classics to ground you now and then.

12 comments:

Mac said...

Consider shoe polish.

Giuseppe said...

I guess you skipped the part where I said these shoes had ben out in the drizzle all day, and needed some attention, which I wrote just because I knew such a comment was coming.

Of course I polish my shoes, but I also wear them in real life, too.

Anonymous said...

Really nice, Giuseppe. I think this is the area you really shine in.

Young Fogey said...

The classics are classic for a reason. Any man will look good in them, as long as the clothes suit him and the occasion. (Which is a roundabout way of saying you look great.)

As far as I'm concerned, the only pocket square for a blazer is white linen or cotton. Nothing else will do.

But I will wear patterned cotton squares with suits. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

Haha, you tell 'em Giuseppe. It's refreshing to see shoes that aren't in perfect condition; makes us plebs feel a little better about ourselves :P

Orthodox Trad said...

It's the classics that keep me returning to your blog. I turn a blind eye to your excesses.

Boston Bean said...

Perfetto!

Dutch Uncle said...

A solid color necktie would have been even more classic.

(Not a criticism, just a comment).

Regimental Stripe said...

Could we see the label on the tie, for old time's sake?

Anonymous said...

@Mac - Consider reading glasses.

Anonymous said...

Looks like the Burt Lancaster character in Field of Dreams.

2Stoics said...

Love the brogues. Looks like you've been doing something in them.