20 December 2011

Holiday Cheer

Given the fact that Christmas is a mere few days off, it occurs to me that there has been a real lack of holiday cheer around here. The reasons for that are twofold. First, it's been unseasonably warm here in Massachusetts for months. Everyone around me seems to love this, but not I. This is a clothing blog, after all, and my best stuff is the Winter goods, including my extensive collection of wool Tartan trousers, none of which have gotten any use this season. Secondly, being in retail, this season means less fun and more work for me, and little else. Good thing I've got the kids to keep me cheery.

Anyway, I did actually manage to get invited to and attend one Christmas party last weekend, so the custom holiday shirt got at least one airing:
Worn with a navy emblematic tie, and a 6x2 double breasted navy blazer. The double breasted helps keep this relatively in check, with it's high closure point. See, maybe not as silly as you thought.

Silk knot cuff links. Shiny metal would have been way too much, in an outfit that is likely already way too much.

 
Charcoal flannels and black shoes. Bright red socks at a Christmas party are de rigeur. The perfect ensemble for drinking too much Scotch and stumbling home. Ho Ho Ho!

p.s. new items in the Shop. I've been a busy little elf this month.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas. A great year of blogging; sometimes fun, sometimes hellishly annoying; sometimes informative but always fair, in the right spirit and always always worth reading. SUM

gentleman mac said...

I don't think it's too much at all. I think the best part is the choice of cuff links; there is a subtle, unexpected pop when they are exposed.

Jho78 said...

Very nice. As for working retail, hang in there. It's almost over. As for me, getting out of the retail side of things and the birth of our first child did wonders for my feelings about the whole season.

TRVS said...

I agree, we are seriously overdue for a mad Nor' Easter...I want to wear my mink hat!

Anonymous said...

Very nice, I'd like to see most of the whole picture from top to bottom instead of partials. Makes it better to understand your style better visually.

LLP said...

Please, just don't pair it with WASP 101's school boy blazer.

Young Fogey said...

GP, Giuseppe doesn't have one of those.

Great look, G. I knew you would make that crazy plaid shirt work! It seems a natural for pairing with a navy blazer.

Anonymous said...

I still say that shirt would look great with a navy cashmere sweater. I love the cuff links, too. I bought a white shirt with french cuffs from Lands End and it came with that kind of cuff link. From my sailing days, I would call it a monkey fist (knot).

Anonymous said...

YF - Are G and you an item? If not, we demand to know how you know what is or is not in his wardrobe?

JKG said...

As the year closes, just wanted to thank you for the time and effort you put into this corner of the intertubes. It's been a pleasure and I'm looking forward to seeing what the new year brings to AAW. Peace and rest to you and yours.

Yankee-Whisky-Papa said...

That shirt is the mutt's nuts. I will be copying you soon enough... my opinion is that the shirt will good with damn near anything. Merry Christmas.

oxford cloth button down said...

I love the socks. I would not have ever thought to wear cuff links like those, but they are actually very subtle. Nice outfit.

Anonymous said...

Really sharp looking Shirt. I, too, will be copying that look. Thanks for a great year of style, Giuseppe. I have learned a lot from you since I found your blog in the beginning of the summer. I am looking forward to another great year of fun and helpful posts.

Young Fogey said...

Anonymous 10:34,

Nah, I'm a longtime reader, and I have a pretty good idea of what he does and doesn't like. Besides, both G and I are happily married men.