24 March 2010

Teaser, part 2

So, the other day I un-earthed this old red and white mini-gingham check button down:
Damn, that's a serious late 1960s collar. Those are some long points, no? It's a 'Classic" in the "Traditional Fit", from Gant shirt makers. This is Gant the first time around, when they were really just classic, before they went sour and eventually made a (prohibitively expensive) comeback. The shirt also hails form Cohen's of Cockeysville Maryland. Now, that label leads one to believe that this Cohen's joint was the jams at one time. Usually when I find labels like this, research leads me to discover only that the place is long gone, if I indeed manage to discover anything at all. In the case of Cohen's, they are still in business since 1905 and live on the web, though it appears the mighty have fallen pretty far in this case.
Those long points make for one almost outlandish "roll' to the collar. It's almost mod, like something you'd see on George Harrison with the Beatles in 1965, though perhaps not with a novelty tie celebrating American independence from Britain.
Anyway, I tried to wear it today, but the sleeves are just too damn short for me. So I'll offer it for sale at the Top Shelf Flea. Size 15/ 32. Start fighting over it now.


17 comments:

Scott Alexander said...

I love old Gant shirts, and that one's no exception. There's a traditional shop here that used to carry Gant in the same manner, with the store and Gant logos on the same label.

http://thecableknitcollegian.blogspot.com

bostonhud said...

1. Best tie ever made

2. The mighty have fallen- no kidding

Anonymous said...

Why not just convert it into a short-sleeve shirt?

Dutch Uncle said...

If you look at this page, you'll see that Cohen's still carries some pretty respectable brands:

http://www.cohensclothiers.com/Cohens_Clothiers/About_Us.html

BMO'C said...

Cohen's is STILL the jams . . . . Castaway critter pants, lots of Lacoste, VV, phenomenal tie selection. It's where all of the Baltimore prep school kids and their parents go for school clothes . . .

Giuseppe said...

I'm glad to hear you say that Cohen's is still on it's game. But you gotta admit, the front page of that website is chock full of Oakley, board shorts and flip flops. Kinda gave me the wrong idea.

David M. said...

Take that tie off, that's for the flea!

Pigtown*Design said...

Cohen's is still where the prep school crowd is kitted out. they've been around for years and have all the teen and pre-teen accoutrements.

DAG said...

I love gingham check. I just never know what tie to pair with the things - so I tend to wear them sans tie.

Great shirt - and why not make it short sleeve?

DAG

Young Fogey said...

Although I'm not a fan of the so-called emblematic tie, that is one of the greatest ties ever.

Nice find--don't you let that one get away!

Percy Chatsworth said...

Can we fight over the shirt here, in the comments section? Pretty please?

Unknown said...

Yes, I wouldn't mind fighting over it here as I cannot, unfortunately, make it to the flea.

T

OCBD said...

The tie to wear with a gingham check is a solid-color woolen knit.

Stubbornly Trad said...

Just goes to show that you can't tell a site by it's main page. Deep down, Cohen's is still a Trad fortress, but has to appeal to the pseudo-Hawaiian crowd as well in order to survive

ADG said...

I'm a 15-32. Give me the damn shirt.

Anonymous said...

Cohen's of Cockeysville, MD. Cockeysville was and still is an upper income neighborhood area in the Baltimore area. According to my Dad, Cohen's was one of the finest mens store in Baltimore. Spot on, Sir.

Patrick said...

Forget the shirt, I want the tie. Who made it?