27 August 2009

A Necktie at the Playground

As you may know, I spend the vast majority of my time in the company of my two small children, which means I am a fixture at the local playgrounds. But that's no good reason not to dress like a man...besides, Summer is winding down and I had this killing vintage madras tie that needed an airing before going into storage:

These days, people want to know "why are you so dressed up?" when they see an outfit like this, but to my mind, this outfit is nothing more than a gentleman's casual, just this side of rakish.
To wit, the excessively frayed shirt collar, tie worn intentionally loose,

and rolled khakis, sockless (of course) with navy blue Sperry sneakers.


But the tie is the thing here. Real bleeding Indian madras (which seems to be all over the menswear bloggy charts lately(see here, and here)...call me a sheep)). A vintage, square-ended relic from Rooster. I invite the older of my readers to share reminiscences of Rooster clothing.



From a place called "Town & Tweed Shop" in Lynn, Massachusetts. Sounds like my kind of store, although its hard to believe Lynn ever was home to such a place. If you're local, you know what I mean, if not, take my word for it. There's a silly poem around that starts "Lynn, Lynn, city of sin..." You get the idea.
The things you can find for a buck.




12 comments:

Andrew M. said...

I will wear something very similar, minus the awesome tie, and my own father will ask what I'm all "dressed up" for. Since when is a button-down shirt, khakis and canvas sneakers considered "dressed up"? Well, I guess when his idea of dressed up is blue jeans with a polo shirt and running shoes. Sorry for the rant. Such is my disgust with current standards of dress.

Young Fogey said...

Great tie! I love those 60's square-end ties. I have several. They're all made by (dang, can't remember the name) and have horizontal stripes of varying widths. Depending on the tie, they are in silk, wool blend, or man-made fiber blend. Unfortunately, I don't have jackets with narrow lapels to wear them with, so I just look at them every now and then.

But you did remind me that I scored a sweet madras bow tie & cummerbund set at a thrift store, and that I'll have to wear the tie before Labor Day.

Corinne and Brad Evans said...

I get that same question all the time...why are you so dressed up? It's a shame that men dress the way they do. I recently wore a tie to the golf course...just for the hell of it. The old timers loved it and the young guys did too. I guess it has something to do with where you spend your time. In any case, a gentlemen wears a tie more often than not...and that's all there is to it.

adios gio said...

I love that knot!I don't like tightly tied ties,either...before I really got into wearing ties,I didn't care for that asymmetrical knot,but it's so simple,I do it most of the time...

Anonymous said...

"but to my mind, this outfit is nothing more than a gentleman's casual, just this side of rakish."
Yes. When I make the rules this is what will be considered casual for guys. Very cool.

basietrane said...

Great summer look. I often wear the oxford/khaki/Sperry combo to work. But the white oxford often stays in the closet because I don't know what undershirt to wear with it - It's usually a vneck for my colored oxfords, and on hot days I opt for a white tank. But with the white oxford, the tank is visable, and the wife says it looks funny. Hah! What is your take?

tintin said...

I love that tie. This must be from the same period.

http://thetrad.blogspot.com/2009/05/friday-belt-daks-penguin.html

Giuseppe said...

Basietrane,

being Italian, i tend to eschew undershirts in the Summer in favor of an extra open button and some chest hair.

TinTin,

wouldn't it be great to have a dozen of those square madras ties? Something about the plaid being set straight rather than at an angle is what nails it.

Robert said...

Love the blog, truly.
I was lucky enough to stumble upon a bleeding madras tie of my own today at a local thrift (made by Robert Talbott, for local menswear shop The Hound). I don't think its previous owner was as fastidious as I and the tie looks like it could use some freshening up. I'm wondering, have you had any success with (hand) washing your madras tie(s)? I know its all cotton but I'm having trouble shutting off the voice in my head which reminds me to keep ties and water forever separate.
Thanks, and please keep doing what you're doing, the blog is a consistent pleasure.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone ever used Craigslist to find clothing at a decent price?

james at 10engines said...

tie is off the handle.

james at 10engines said...
This comment has been removed by the author.